Apa yang dimaksud dengan Euphuism?

Euphuism merupakan gaya prosa yang rumit dan dihiasi dengan majas retorik. Istilah ini berasal dari popularitas dua prosa romansa oleh John Lyly, Euphues: The Anatomy of Wit (1578), dan sekuelnya, Euphues and His England (1580).
Gaya Lyly, yang kemudian juga diparodikan oleh Shakespeare, ditandai dengan penggunaan berulang antitesis yang diperkuat oleh aliterasi, sekaligus dengan pertanyaan retorik dan berbagai bentuk pengulangan. Ia juga terkenal karena seringnya menggunakan simile rumit yang diambil dari burung dan binatang yang nyata dan menakjubkan.
Contoh ini berasal dari solilokui yang diucapkan oleh karakter Euphues:

Ah Euphues, into what misfortune art thou brought! In what sudden misery art thou wrapped! It is like to fare with thee as with the eagle, which dieth neither for age nor with sickness but with famine, for although thy stomach hunger, thy heart will not suffer thee to eat. And why shouldst thou torment thyself for one in whom is neither faith not fervency? Oh the counterfeit love of women! Oh inconstant sex! I have lost Philautus. I have lost Lucilla. I have lost that which I shall hardly find again: a faithful friend. Ah, foolish Euphues! Why didst thou leave Athens, the nurse of wisdom, to inhabit Naples, the nourisher of wantonness? Had it not been better for thee to have eaten salt with the philosophers in Greece than sugar with the courtiers in Italy?

Sumber:
The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms (2001)