It is common belief that roughly 80-90% of products fail. Although this figure defies logic, the myth persists.
If over 80% of new products truly fail, does it make sense for anyone to take a professional career risk by committing their time and talents to building new products? From a portfolio perspective, what must the ROI of the remaining 10-20% of successful products be to offset the costs of a development program that fails at that rate? Operationally, how long would it take to realize these returns and what manager would realistically employ time, talent and money on these new product projects?